Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Yargo's Golden Device


Car screaming - music blaring - not another soul in sight.  I was all alone on what had to be the most deserted road in America.

I put my foot even harder on the pedal and prayed there were no cops around.  Wind gashing at me through the cracks in the windows.  I wasn't quite sure what that note from Maud had meant... I just had to go.

She left me a small note on the receipt from breakfast the other day.  Said something about a golden device.

We ate at Yargo's Diner every 3rd Sunday of the month and it was her turn to pay again.  Only this time - she looked a little weird.  She had this strange bump on her head and was talking nonsense.

"Whoa, whoa whoa!  Slow down Maud.  This isn't school anymore - we can take it slow.  I know I act like a 2nd grader sometimes, but seriously - get a grip!" I said.

"Sorry," Maud let out with a pant, "I'm just so... so... weirded out by the feel of this place now.  I had a dream."

"What?  Oh not this again."

"Whatever.  I don't have time for this."  She said gripping the table to stand up.

I grabbed her hand and tilted her chin toward my direction.  "Maud - I didn't mean..."

"Look, I don't have time.  You have to find the pole in the wide open dust.  That's all I can tell you.  I've got to go."

"...I don't know what you're talking about.  You mean the old stomping grounds?" I said, confused.

"Maybe - I haven't been." She said, recoiling her hand.  "I just feel different about this one, Bud.  Something different.  I gotta go."

"Fine," I said, "but I'll collect the gas money next Sunday!"

* * *

You know, I never saw her again.  I think it had something to do with the device I found buried near that old flag-pole.  Not to mention my hand hasn’t been the same since.

2 comments:

  1. Great converstaion ... I want to know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you fellow YSWT'er! :) I want to know what happens next, too! :)

    Here's to the next warm up and what tumbled out. :)

    ReplyDelete